note: The PhotoPills Camp 2017 is over! Sign in for priority access for the PhotoPills Camp 2018 by filling in the form below!
Beware! This experience may negatively impact your desire to go back to your previous life...
It’s time to officially reveal an amazing new event: The PhotoPills Camp 2017 (to be held next May 28 - June 4).
Long story short...
We’re recruiting 40 PhotoPillers (Photography nerds & PhotoPills app nerds), out of the 80.000 spread all over the world, to join us, the creators of PhotoPills app, along with Mark Gee, Elia Locardi, Naomi Locardi, José Benito Ruiz, Mario Rubio, Francesco Gola and Donal Boyd.
You will take part in a 7-DAY EPIC PHOTO IMMERSION that will help you improve every aspect of your photography.
From inspiration, planning with PhotoPills, shooting and post-processing to managing your social networks (Instagram and Facebook). And even the way you manage your photography business, if that’s your interest.
And if there’s something more specific that you’d like to learn, please let us know by filling in the “learning wish” of the priority access application form. We’ll do our best to help you!
The Camp is hosted in Menorca, our headquarters in Spain. A small paradise island lost in the midst of the Mediterranean Sea.
It’s no coincidence that Menorca is known as the “Island of Light” since long before the Roman Empire. It’s a kind of a mystical place where time goes slow and inspiration flows spontaneously.
Along with Romans, Ottomans and Muslims, many ancient cultures have fought for its treasures. Nowadays, the Island quietly waits to be discovered. Only a few have the privilege to enjoy this nature sanctuary:
The dark sky, ravines, caves, rock formations, wetlands, isles, lighthouses, 1,500+ archeological sites, dune systems, beaches with white sand and crystal clear waters, where a rich population of plants and wildlife thrives, including a few endemic species...
And you’ll be experiencing the island the way we do, the way the islanders do. You’ll feel like a local, not like a tourist.
Simply mix Menorca’s gems with some of the best easy going photography masters, a jam-packed into the field and straight to the point class schedule (on creativity, planning, shooting, post-processing, social networks & business), multiple photo escapes to our secret locations, the delicious Menorcan cuisine, amazing beaches, hikes, horse riding and boat trips, night picnics, coffee talks, party moments and catching up with old and new friends, and finally add the distinctive PhotoPills fun flavour... and you get the perfect cocktail.
Your days will be full of learning, adventure, aha moments and meaningful connections!
Who is in?
Sign in for priority access for the PhotoPills Camp 2018 by filling in the following application form:
Welcome to the PhotoPills Camp!
The PhotoPills Camp is a celebration of photography. And the particular way we PhotoPillers live this passion:
Side by side, connecting with each other, learning from each other, always positive, always at the right place, at the right time to shoot the scenes we’ve imagined, to tell the stories we wanna tell. Always hunting all those legendary moments that nature serves everyday but nobody sees. Our goosebumps moments!
Take the best parts of summer camp as a kid and add a powerfully supportive Tribe cheering you on as you...
- Get inspired by the same natural positive energy that has inspired so many people before. Artists (Mike Oldfield, Hans Hartung, Joaquín Sabina...), writers, designers and entrepreneurs (Manel Adell, Martin Varsavsky...) before. People who were drawn to Menorca for its wide open spaces and its relaxed unself-consciousness.
- Shooting multiple photo opportunities in our best secret locations (lighthouses, rock formations, wild beaches, megalithic monuments, natural arches, abandoned buildings…) during the best light moments and under the dark sky. You’ll be trying all sort of different photo techniques and styles (Milky Way, panoramas, timelapse, star trails, moon, long exposures with filters, portrait in landscape, brenizer, infrared, and more). How it works? You’ll have to wait! It’s a surprise :P
- Improve any aspect of your photography the fun way. You’ll be taking short and straight to the point learning pills not in a classroom but in the field. We don’t like long and boring classes. We want to help you improve the fun way: shooting!
- Learn face to face with the best Masters (and the best people) completely immersed in nature, on the beach, under the trees, while sailing the sea or riding along the magnificent Camí des Cavalls, an ancient coastal trail for horses that encircles the island. We’ll make sure you’re far away from exhaust pipes and grey concrete walls.
- Create meaningful connections. You’ll have the opportunity to connect with everyone, well-known leader photographers like Mark Gee or Elia Locardi, and other PhotoPillers like you and me.
- Devour healthy food and some of the best Menorca’s traditional cuisine (including its famous lobster). I promise, you will not easily forget the lunch you’re gonna have on Saturday June 3rd (just to mention one!).
- Turn into a PhotoPills Master. You’ll gain the power to look into the future to find the right shooting spot and shooting time the scenes you imagine happen. We’ll make sure you learn to harness all the power and capabilities of PhotoPills.
- Post-process your images in the field, right after the shooting. So you learn the important link between shooting and post-processing. What about post-processing the Milky Way under the stars? How does it sound?
- Master the art of social networks, so you consistently grow your own tribe of fans on Instagram (and Facebook). There’ll be many moments during the day (coffee times, dinner times, game times) to talk and learn about any topic that interests you.
And if you wish to make a living out of photography, you’ll be right there among people that are already living the dream. And all of them are willing to tell you how to do it ;)
By the end of this experience, your connection with the island will be so deep, you won't remember how you got to the island nor when. You’ll start feeling a bit Menorcan.
This is the PhotoPills Camp, the PhotoPillers’ hideout from this hectic world.
Do you want an example of how huge this will be?
This is what we did in Iceland with 10 fantastic PhotoPillers. Imagine what we can do at home, in our headquarters. With many more Masters and, above all, many more PhotoPillers like you!
But you don’t have to take our word for it. Here’s what PhotoPillers have to say about us:
“I went to Iceland expecting to have the opportunity to photograph the marvelous landscape and master nightscapes. What I encountered was so much more – 14 kindred souls from across the globe who share a passion for photography. Together we expanded our creative boundaries, learned from one another and had an insane amount of fun in the process. I am confident that everyone came away from the experience a better photographer.”
“From the very moment the guys from PhotoPills announced the expedition to Iceland... I didn’t think it twice! I was using PhotoPills but not at its full capacity, so I had no better chance to learn from the creators of this amazing app. The experience was even more amazing than anything I could have imagined. In Iceland, I discovered a bunch of folks as crazy about photography as I am. I had a blast!
Photography is a continuous learning process, you always find something new that motivates you to improve. And this adventure made me improve more than I could imagine.”
“During my experience in Iceland I lived wonderful moments and had surprises that were beyond the expected. It completely exceeded my initial expectations! Sharing knowledge, experiences and ways of working and living photography with such a great group has been one of the most enriching life experiences I have ever had.
Who he said that learning and knowledge sharing can not be wonderfully fun?”
"The PhotoPills guys know how to create a fantastic experience. They bring an infectiously fun energy and are always willing to drop some handy photography knowledge on you that you will take with you. You take their trip and you'll for sure have a good time, get some amazing pics and leave a better photographer."
“I can't say enough about what a fantastic time I had during the PhotoPills Iceland photo tour! The guys from PhotoPills and Donal Boyd were so knowledgeable, accommodating, and especially lots of fun. Never a dull moment – nonstop action and shooting of amazing landscapes for 10 days. I came away with enough images and memories to last a lifetime!”
Learn and Connect with the Best Easy Going Masters (on the Beach or at the Coffee Bar!)
Whether you are looking to master PhotoPills once and for all, get some advice on your shooting and post-processing workflow, or learn a new skill like shooting the Milky Way, Star trails, Meteor Showers, Moon, Sunrises & Sunsets, Long Exposure with Filters, Timelapse, Panoramas, Wildlife, Portrait or Macro... or how to fly a Drone!
Or maybe you want to learn how to consistently grow your followers and engagement on Instagram and Facebook. Or even learn how to make a living doing what you love most: photography.
In any case, we’ve assembled a team of Masters unlike anything before.
Their lives are driven by their passion for photography and helping others.
Here’s your squad of Masters!
Mark Gee (Astrophotography, Timelapse and Moon)
Mark Gee is an award winning photographer (Astronomy Photographer of the Year), time-lapse filmmaker, TEDx speaker and a PhotoPills Master. A true genius when it comes to telling stories with the Moon and the Milky Way.
Stop, Look up & Enjoy… His battle cry for the starry nights!
Elia Locardi (Travel, Landscape, Astrophotography and Drone)
Location independent since March of 2012, Elia Locardi and his wife Naomi live a 100% mobile lifestyle, perpetually traveling from country to country, continuously circling the globe.
In this adventure, Elia has become an internationally acclaimed professional travel photographer, videographer, writer, public speaker, and highly skilled educator who spends his life shooting and teaching in some of the most beautiful locations in the world... Next stop: Menorca!
Naomi Locardi (Artist, writer, entrepreneur, travel)
Naomi Locardi is an artist, writer, entrepreneur and photographer currently exploring the globe on a location independent adventure with her husband Elia.
The proverb says that behind every great man there is a great woman. But when it comes to Naomi and Elia, nothing could be further from the truth. When you see them together, you realize they’re just one.
If you wish to make her happy, give her a hat. Hats are her Achilles heel.
José Benito Ruiz (Nature, Wildlife, Landscape, Macro and Portrait)
He’s like a father to us. Simply the most renowned Spanish nature photographer of all time! José Benito has won (and also participated as jury) several international competitions like Wildlife Photographer of the Year or the Golden Turtle. His photos have been published in more than 40 countries through the most prestigious agents (Planet Earth Pictures, Oxford Scientific Films and Nature Picture Library) in pro for the preservation of Nature.
Devoted naturalist and author of more than 10 books on photography and wildlife, when José is not writing or out there shooting, he is teaching others the art of photography. A good friend, a guide and the first PhotoPills Master (do you remember José?!)... We’re so honored to have him on board!
Mario Rubio (Lightpainting, Astrophotography)
The fun-leader of the astrophotographers and light painters in Spain and South America. Mario Rubio is a devoted teacher (and a fantastic guy to hang out with, he is a bit crazy though). By helping people improve their photography, Mario has built a huge following of fans (aka the Noctógrafos) that’s spreading all over the world. Get ready to master the art of telling colorful nightstories through light.
Ah! And if you’re a runner, well, he can also teach you how to run a Marathon in less than 3h 26’ :P
Francesco Gola (Seascapes and Long Exposure)
To talk about pastel-soaked pictures of silky seas and soft clouds is to talk about Francesco Gola. At the beginning, he found in photography the perfect escape to the chaotic world. But, very soon, his skills with the ND and GND filters turned him into an outstanding Seascape photographer.
Warning! Mixing Francesco with Menorca’s unique seascapes may blast your creativity!
Donal Boyd (Travel, Landscape, Moon and Drone)
If you’re looking for a PhotoPills Master in Iceland, Donal Boyd is your man. He decided to follow his heart, quitted his job and moved to Iceland to operate his business as a professional photographer and photography instructor. A guy to follow if you want to learn how to make a living out of photography starting from scratch (and on a budget).
Ah! And he has a drone too! :P
All of them are true PhotoPillers like you and me. But above all, they’re joining us because they share the same vision and passion that drive us:
To help you guys leave your mark on the world, and create a legacy of extremely beautiful images, unique life experiences and achievements, while learning and improving every aspect of your photography
Like Antoni, Germán, Joan or myself (the PhotoPills Team), these guys do not keep wisdom for themselves, they’re happy to share all their secrets with you!
And they’re going to be there, next to you. So be ready to connect with them, ask them and absorb as much wisdom as you can. Not only during the lectures and the shooting escapes, but also while relaxing on the beach (under the pine trees), or while enjoying a cup of coffee at the bar (or a well deserved beer).
In Just 7 Days You’ll Have the Opportunity to Improve Your Photography More Than in the Past 2 Years
Follow the PhotoPills way...
Truth is we don’t like long and boring learning sessions.
We love shooting, we love action... slow action!
It’s all about making small changes that stick.
So, you’ll be taking short and straight to the point learning pills (easy to swallow) that will make you improve any aspect of your photography.
It’s time to take a step back, make sure you’re doing not a lot of things... but doing the right things and doing them really well.
It’s time to decelerate, so that you’re able to accelerate your photography!
Get ready to learn how to:
- How Masters find inspiration
- How PhotoPills can help you be more creative in your business, so you get the word of mouth naturally flowing (wedding, portrait, product, landscape, stock…)
- The secrets of an award winning image revealed by an International Jury
- Composition, the language of art
- How to train yourself to be more creative (yes, it’s possible to train creativity)
- The Moon Play Project (or how planning frees imagination)
- Discover tons of PhotoPills tips and secrets
- How to travel the world from legendary photo to legendary photo on a budget
- How to use PhotoPills to plan any Sun, Moon, Star Trails, Meteor Shower and Milky Way shot you imagine
- How to use PhotoPills to make all the calculations you need for the shot you want: hyperfocal distance, depth of field, field of view, exposure, long exposure with filters and timelapse
- How to plan your trips with PhotoPills
- How to shoot the Milky Way, Star Trails, Meteor Shower, Moon, Sunrises and Sunsets, Long Exposures with filters, Panoramas, Bracketing, Timelapse, Wildlife, Outdoors Portrait, Macro and more
- How to master the basics: your camera, how to compose a shot, where to focus for a determined depth of field, how to use the hyperfocal distance, understand light (golden hour, blue hour and twilights), how to get perfect exposure, how to choose the focal length for the framing you need, how to lit the foreground to create volume and texture...
- How to avoid making the “classic” mistakes that ruin your photos
- What equipment you need depending on the type of photography. What to buy and not to buy, so you make the most with your money
- How to post process the Milky Way, Star Trails, Meteor Shower, Moon, Sunrises and Sunsets, Long Exposures with filters, Panoramas, Timelapse, Wildlife, Portrait, Macro and more
- Learn how to use your post-processing software faster and more efficiently
- How to put your photos in front of the eyes of the World using Instagram and Facebook
- How to manage your Instagram and Facebook account to grow your followers and engagement
- How to create a viral video – Mark Gee’s story (full moon silhouettes)
- How to create a life-long photography business with zero competition no matter what your niche market is (the tribal way)
- How to attract premium clients using Facebook ads
- The LOVE blogging strategy or how to turn readers into lovers
- How to successfully sale and license your images in this competitive world
- How to quit your job, travel the world and get paid for it
Would you love to learn something in particular?
Then tell us your “learning wish” when filling in the application form!
And the good news is that you’re not going to be learning in an academy in the city. You will be leveling up your photography breathing fresh air, in a small island, lost in the middle of the Mediterranean sea.
Non Stop Action in the Slow Island
Welcome to Menorca: 39° 58′ 0″ N, 4° 5′ 0″ E
Declared a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1993, and recently proposed as a firm candidate to join UNESCO’s World Heritage List, Menorca withholds the last best preserved natural paradises and heritage sites in the whole Mediterranean.
With only 700 km², the island is a unique corner of natural environment thanks to the surprisingly slow lifestyle of the Menorca inhabitants, who have kept a balance of harmony with the natural surroundings.
In addition to its unique dark sky, Menorca is home to a remarkable diversity of ravines, caves, rock formations, wetlands, isles, lighthouses, 1,500+ archeological sites, dune systems and beaches with white sand and crystal clear waters, where a rich population of plants and wildlife thrives, including a few endemic species.
Such is its magic that, from the settlement of man on the island around 2500 BC, many cultures and pirates have fought for its treasures: Carthaginians, Romans, Vandals, Byzantines, Muslims, Ottomans, French, British, Spanish... And now PhotoPillers!
We couldn’t have thought of a better location for the Camp.
The New York Times' review
"Menorca, the Ibiza Antidot. The island is still a sleepy, rural place (unlike its neighbors Mallorca, Ibiza and, to a lesser extent, Formentera), one where the air is scented by the sea and ripe figs. Here you won’t find flyers for discotheques stuck under your windshield wipers when you return to your car from the beach, because there’s almost no nightlife on the island. Instead, there are small farms producing nutty cheese, olive oil, wine and the hides used by the island’s leather makers" - Alexander Lobrano - The New York Times
Need a Minute to Recharge? We Have You Covered There Too!
Whether you’d like to connect with friends chilling on a terrace, spend a relaxing and fun morning at the Spa, find a quiet spot to meditate or read a book by the sea or under a holm oak... at the Camp, there are plenty of ways to find quiet in the chaos.
The PhotoPills Camp takes place at Artiem Audax, a 4-stars adults only hotel on the beautiful beach of Cala Galdana (Menorca, Spain), a magnificent site with no shortage of fun things to do or beautiful places to explore.
With a rating of 9.1/10 on Booking.com, and having been awarded the “Travellers Choice in 2016” by TripAdvisor.com, the Artiem Audax is a paradise within a paradise, a comfortable place to rest your head, enjoy healthy meals and find relaxing moments.
You’ll stay in a comfortable air-conditioned double-room with simple, bright décor. All the rooms come with private bathroom, a pillow menu and minibar.
One last (but very important) thing...
The key for the SPIRIT of the Camp!
We want the PhotoPills Camp to be a truly fun and sharing experience, like the camps we used to enjoy when we were kids. We want easy going and positive people. People who like the idea of sharing a double room with another PhotoPiller.
If you’re travelling with a friend, that’s awesome!
And if you’re travelling alone, it’s also great. We will ask you to fill out a questionnaire about your Camp preferences. Based on these preferences, we’ll do our best to match you up with a roommate you’ll get along with swimmingly!
Sign Up to Get on the “Early Access” List
Applications will open very soon. For now, please sign up for priority access through the application form telling us about yourself and what you’d like to learn in this new photography experience!
You’ll be the first to be notified that PhotoPills Camp booking has officially opened. Promised!